Saturday 29 July 2017

the g club - choices in gaming - episode 6 - game choice vs your choice

Audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d9CK6Bn9YY

Arin and Barry talk about choices in gaming. Barry hasn't played Chrono Trigger yet! Yikes!

Arin brings up a great point about Let's Plays and sharing of personal experiences but at the same time it robs a player of their own personal experience that they could have while playing. Many games I haven't played but I watched them all play and I love those games, even though I haven't played them.

They go in depth with the Chrono Trigger example where you make choices at the fair and it has consequences at the trial later on.

They bring up many other examples like Mass Effect, Breath Of The Wild, Final Fantasy XV and Heavy Rain.

They touch on the illusion of choice as well, like in many Telltale Games. Good dialogue in these games is vital!

Majora's Mask is very good case study for this subject!

I fully empathise with Barry on being in want of better terminology to describe aspects of games. Video game ludology isn't as developed as we'd like it to be!

At the end they talk about crappy games they love a lot. That's a nice topic in itself! My favourite crappy game... I dunno. Maybe something like Tom & Jerry for Game Boy. I was obsessed with that as a kid. It's not bad at all but it has a level of mediocrity and repetition that may be off-putting.

No comments:

Post a Comment